Syrian foreign ministry spokesman sacked - Manar TV
BEIRUT Dec 3 (Reuters) - Syria's Foreign Ministry spokesman Jihad Makdissi has been sacked for making statements which did not reflect official government positions, Lebanon's al-Manar Television said on Monday.
Makdissi often spoke at news conferences in Damascus to set out Syria's response to the uprising against President Bashar al-Assad but was rarely seen in the media in recent weeks, raising speculation that he may have defected.
Makdissi's mobile telephone was switched off on Monday evening and there was no immediate comment on Syrian state media.
- Cortege departs to take Mandela's body to lie in state |
- U.S. Mega Millions lottery up to $400 million, 2nd-biggest ever
- Uruguay becomes first country to legalize marijuana trade
- UPDATE 2-U.S. Mega Millions lottery up to $400 million, 2nd-biggest ever
- U.S. budget deal could usher in new era of cooperation