Syrian foreign ministry spokesman sacked - Manar TV
BEIRUT Dec 3 (Reuters) - Syria's Foreign Ministry spokesman Jihad Makdissi has been sacked for making statements which did not reflect official government positions, Lebanon's al-Manar Television said on Monday.
Makdissi often spoke at news conferences in Damascus to set out Syria's response to the uprising against President Bashar al-Assad but was rarely seen in the media in recent weeks, raising speculation that he may have defected.
Makdissi's mobile telephone was switched off on Monday evening and there was no immediate comment on Syrian state media.
- Thousands of Gaza civilians flee after Israeli warning |
- Russia threatens Ukraine after shell crosses border
- Three dead, two wounded in Pasadena, California shootings
- Teen survivor of Texas shootings says slain family members 'in much better place'
- Heavy fighting breaks out near Libya's Tripoli airport, seven dead