Olympics-IOC bans Indian Olympic Association over elections
LAUSANNE Switzerland Dec 4 (Reuters) - The International Olympic Committee (IOC) banned the Indian Olympic Association on Tuesday over elections that could result in a tainted official taking over as the only candidate for secretary-general, a source close to the IOC told Reuters.
The source said Kuwait, that was also under investigation over a sports law, had escaped a ban.
(Reporting by Karolos Grohmann; Editing by John Mehaffey)
- Divided, Scots prepare to vote on fate of the United Kingdom |
- Dollar soars to six-year peak on yen after Fed, Tokyo stocks cheer
- Australian PM says police raids follow threat of beheading
- Apple to unveil new iPads, operating system on Oct. 21: report
- IMF warns of risks from 'excessive' financial market bets