Dutch coastguard: cargo ship "almost certainly sunk" after collision
AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - The Dutch coastguard said the car carrier Baltic Ace "almost certainly has sunk" following a collision with a container ship in the North Sea on Wednesday evening.
The search and rescue of 24 crew from the Baltic Ace was under way, the coastguard added, saying that members of the crew were found on four life rafts.
Coastguard spokesman Peter Verburg said helicopters were pulling crew members out of four life rafts found near the scene of the collision. It was unclear if anyone was missing, he said.
(Reporting by Anthony Deutsch; Editing by Sara Webb and Michael Roddyh)
- More troops deployed in Ferguson to guard against fresh riots |
- Merkel hits diplomatic dead-end with Putin
- Jewish-nation bill frays Israel's delicate social fabric
- Ukraine reports new arrivals of Russian supplies for eastern rebels |
- Gunshots echo as violence returns to Ferguson, protests across U.S.
We are living longer but not creating financial plans to keep pace. Advisers give tips on how to make sure you don’t outlive your money. Video