Mickelson to start 2013 PGA Tour season at La Quinta
(Reuters) - Four-times major champion Phil Mickelson will launch his 2013 PGA Tour campaign at next month's Humana Challenge in La Quinta, California, tournament organizers said on Wednesday.
The American left-hander is the leading all-time money winner at the 72-hole pro-am celebrity event, previously known as the Bob Hope Classic, and won the title in 2002 and 2004.
"We're excited about it," Humana Challenge executive director Bob Marra said during a news conference at La Quinta. "He's a two-time winner here ... and he's Phil Mickelson.
"The legacy Phil has left on our event is undeniable, his popularity among our fans is remarkable. We could not be more pleased to have him start his season with us again."
Murra said that American world number nine Brandt Snedeker, the 2012 FedExCup champion, had also confirmed he would play in the January 17-20 event in the California desert.
American Mark Wilson will be back to defend his Humana Challenge title, having triumphed by two shots at La Quinta in January.
(Reporting by Mark Lamport-Stokes in Los Angeles; Editing by Frank Pingue)
- Ten countries scour sea for Malaysia jet lost in 'unprecedented mystery' |
- Shots fired in air during raid at Crimea naval base |
- Missing Malaysian jet may have disintegrated in mid-air: source |
- Mexico kills drug kingpin reported dead years ago: official
- Pistorius vomits in court at Steenkamp autopsy details