Investigators await interview with driver in fatal Texas train crash

SAN ANGELO, Texas Wed Dec 5, 2012 6:06pm EST

Related Topics

SAN ANGELO, Texas (Reuters) - The National Transportation Safety Board said on Wednesday it had yet to interview the driver of a truck carrying U.S. military veterans that was struck by a train in a fatal accident in Texas, and added it may take up to 18 months to wrap up the investigation.

Four veterans were killed and at least 14 other people were injured when the Union Pacific train slammed into a parade float pulled by the truck in Midland, Texas, on November 15 at the start of a weekend of festivities to honor veterans wounded in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars.

Some of the veterans have filed a lawsuit against Union Pacific and Smith Industries, the company that owns the truck that pulled the trailer the veterans were riding on for the parade. The NTSB report does not assign blame for the accident.

The NTSB, in its first report on the accident, said it had not yet been able to interview the driver of the trailer, Dale Andrew Hayden.

Hayden, 50, a veteran and employee of Smith Industries, has been under the care of a physician and is not planning to speak with investigators until cleared by his doctor, his attorney has said.

The attorney could not be reached for comment on Wednesday.

The one-page preliminary report released by the NTSB reiterated much of what was previously disclosed about the accident. A final report will take 12 to 18 months, it said.

At about 4:35 p.m. on November 15, the report said, a truck pulling an open trailer functioning as a parade float with 12 wounded veterans and their wives went over a railroad crossing.

The truck approached the crossing at about 5 miles per hour, and a Union Pacific train traveling at 62 mph in a 70-mph zone hit the back of the trailer.

"The engineer sounded the locomotive horn, placed the train brakes into an emergency application, and traveled 4,143 feet before coming to a stop," the report states.

(Editing by Paul Thomasch and Peter Cooney)

We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of Reuters. For more information on our comment policy, see
Comments (1)
jaroca wrote:
Would someone please explain WHY it will take 12 to 18 months for a final rport onwhat happened. Really. I’m curious as to the time required for somethinng of this nature.

We have witnesses, video, electronic monitoring equipment from the train’s engine and a living driver, who I might add, seemed to have been totally wrong in his choice of actions. I don’t wonder why he doesn’t wish to speak to anyone.

Pointing fingers and sueing the railroad will do nothing for the victims and their families other than perhaps make a few of them and attorneys richer at the expense of insurance companies and by extension us, as consumers.

Parade organizers should have checked train schedules and perhaps posted extra guards at that location due to distractions and noise. Parade organizers could possibly have chosen a different, safer route and I would guess at least notify the railroad of what was to take place that day over their crossing.

I’m just playing devil’s advocate here but I think the driver and parade organizers should be the ones liable. From all news sourcesa made public so far that I have seen the railroad and its’ employees did nothing wrong.

No, I do not nor have not been involved with the railroad or any of their employees.

I’m just really curious at the possible reasons for such an extended delay in an accident report. It somehow doesn’t seem right.

Dec 05, 2012 7:43pm EST  --  Report as abuse
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.