- Survivors pulled from Oklahoma tornado debris as toll falls |
- Convicted U.S. killer Arias would join tiny death row group
- Drop in U.S. underground water levels has accelerated -USGS
- Analysis: Some Republicans see new scandal in Sebelius fundraising
- Israel fires back at Syria after gunshots at its troops
Egypt army deploys to protect presidency - state news agency
CAIRO Dec 6 (Reuters) - An Egyptian military deployment around the presidential palace aims to secure the building, the state news agency reported on Thursday, following violent protests between supporters and opponents of President Mohamed Mursi in the area.
"The Republican Guard began a deployment around the headquarters of the presidency ... to secure the headquarters of the presidency in its capacity as a symbol of the state and the official headquarters of government," the agency reported.
Reuters witnesses counted at least five tanks and nine armoured personnel carriers around the presidency. The Republican Guard is responsible for guarding presidential offices across the country.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this