- Survivors pulled from Oklahoma tornado debris as toll falls |
- Analysis: Some Republicans see new scandal in Sebelius fundraising
- Convicted U.S. killer Arias would join tiny death row group
- Drop in U.S. underground water levels has accelerated -USGS
- Israel fires back at Syria after gunshots at its troops
A huge tornado tears through the Oklahoma City suburb of Moore, killing dozens. Slideshow
Senate to vote on giving Obama debt limit power
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Senate is expected to vote on Thursday on legislation that would give President Barack Obama power to raise the Treasury Department's borrowing authority without congressional approval, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, a Democrat, said.
Democrats who control the Senate say they think they have the 51 votes needed to pass the measure but are unsure if Senate Republicans will erect procedural roadblocks requiring 60 votes to clear. Democrats hold the chamber 53-47.
(Reporting by Thomas Ferraro; Editing by Vicki Allen)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this