Russia says US rights bill 'absurd', may retaliate
MOSCOW Dec 6 (Reuters) - Russia denounced as "absurd" a trade bill that passed the U.S. Senate on Thursday with a provision to punish Russian human rights violators, and a senior Russian lawmaker said Moscow may respond with a similar law.
"The decision of the U.S. Senate...is a performance in the theatre of the absurd," the Foreign Ministry said in a statement on its website.
Alexei Pushkov, the head of the lower house of parliament's international affairs committee told Itar-Tass that Moscow could pass a "corresponding law".
- Search for Malaysian plane may extend to Indian Ocean - U.S |
- Search for Malaysian plane may extend to Indian Ocean: U.S. |
- Russia holds war games near Ukraine; Merkel warns of catastrophe |
- Nose gear on plane collapses at Philadelphia airport
- Knife-wielding assailants attack people in central China: Xinhua