Obama met with Boehner on Sunday over fiscal cliff -aides
WASHINGTON Dec 9 (Reuters) - U.S. President Barack Obama met with Republican Speaker of the House of Representatives John Boehner on Sunday at the White House to negotiate over the fiscal cliff, according to White House officials and a congressional aide.
The two sides declined to provide further details about the unannounced meeting. Obama and Boehner aides used the same language to describe it.
"This afternoon, the president and Speaker Boehner met at the White House to discuss efforts to resolve the fiscal cliff. We're not reading out details of the conversation, but the lines of communication remain open," aides to both men wrote in separate emails.
- Malaysia jet sent 'pings' after going missing, sources say |
- Russia holds war games near Ukraine; Merkel warns of catastrophe |
- Rescuers search site of NY building collapse; seven dead |
- White House tried to mediate dispute between Senate, CIA panel: source
- Missing jet may have strayed to west, Malaysia military says |