McIlroy scoops European writers award
LONDON (Reuters) - World number one Rory McIlroy won the 2012 European Golf Writers Trophy on Monday after a spectacular season during which he landed his second major title and topped the money-list on both sides of the Atlantic.
The 23-year-old Northern Irishman, who added the U.S. PGA Championship to the U.S. Open crown he bagged in 2011, finished ahead of Europe's triumphant Ryder Cup team in the voting.
"Wherever we play the golf writers are there helping to promote our sport and give a voice to golf and therefore I am delighted to win their award," he said in a statement.
"I hope to give them plenty more good things to write about in 2013," added McIlroy who claimed a total of five tournament victories this year.
- Israel warns of long Gaza war as Palestinian fighters cross border |
- West agrees wider Russia sanctions as Kiev says forces near crash site
- Court orders Russia to pay $50 billion for seizing Yukos assets |
- Man found dead trapped between elevator and shaft wall in NYC
- Wall Street yawns as deal news offsets data; Herbalife sinks