Madeira event back on European Tour schedule
(Reuters) - The European Tour has added the Madeira Islands Open to next year's golf schedule, with the event being played in the same week as the World Match Play Championship in Bulgaria.
The 21st edition of the Portuguese tournament is to be staged from May 16-19 at Santo da Serra and carries a total prize fund of 675,000 euros ($872,500).
Defending champion Ricardo Santos of Portugal will look to make it a title double next year.
"The fact Ricardo has been named Rookie of the Year will serve to increase the excitement as we look forward to next year's renewal," the tour's chief operating officer Keith Waters said in a statement on Tuesday.
($1 = 0.7736 euros)
(Writing by Tony Jimenez in London; Editing by Clare Fallon)
- Pope attacks mega-salaries and wealth gap in peace message
- Air strike kills 15 civilians in Yemen by mistake: officials
- Probation for drunk Texas teen driver who killed four sparks backlash
- Atheists face death in 13 countries, global discrimination: study
- South Africa admits error over 'schizophrenic' Mandela signer |