Cash-poor Detroit to get some money, review from state
DETROIT (Reuters) - Michigan will release $10 million in funds to Detroit after its city council took action on Tuesday on key measures tied to financial reforms.
But the state also launched a review that could result in an emergency manager for the cash-strapped city, a spokesman for Michigan's Treasury Department said.
Terry Stanton, the spokesman, said the council's action met conditions agreed to by the state and Mayor Dave Bing for the release of $10 million raised through a bond sale earlier this year. The release of another $20 million remains tied to the city's meeting other conditions, he added.
In the meantime, state officials frustrated by the slow pace of reforms in Detroit moved ahead with a 30-day preliminary review of the city's finances, according to Stanton.
Facing a possible state takeover and a growing deficit, the city council reversed course and approved a controversial contract that had been a sticking point for the release of some of the money.
In a 5-4 vote, the council approved the appointment of law firm Miller Canfield to work on issues related to a consent agreement that earlier this year gave the state some oversight of Detroit's finances. Last month, the contract with the law firm was rejected by council members, who cited alleged conflicts of interest by the law firm and concerns over its legality.
Council President Charles Pugh told reporters after the meeting that he "tried to hold his nose" to vote for the contract so that the city could avoid a state-appointed emergency financial manager.
"We're just trying to do what's right," he said. "It's a dance. You've got to satisfy the citizens. You've got to satisfy your colleagues. You've got to satisfy the mayor."
Other measures the state has tied to the release of some bond money also received council approval, including contracts for auditing services and for specific audits to uncover potential worker's compensation fraud and to determine dependent eligibility for city benefits.
The city of 700,000 has been hard hit by a steep population decline, years of severe budget deficits and escalating employee costs, all of which led state officials to begin an intervention process last year.
Mayor Bing thanked council members for their actions and reiterated that he is working to avoid the appointment of an emergency manager by the state.
A financial update released by the city on Monday indicated its cash flow position could erode in the fiscal year that ends June 30 to a negative $113.7 million from a negative $76.7 million that was forecast last month.
The city's oversight board, which was created under the consent agreement that allowed Detroit to avoid a state-appointed emergency manager, voted unanimously on Monday to support Michigan Treasurer Andy Dillon's plan to launch the Detroit review.
The appointment of an emergency manager would bring Detroit a step closer to a possible bankruptcy filing, as would legislation that could be passed by the Michigan Legislature this month that would give fiscally struggling local governments like Detroit options for fixing their problems, including Chapter 9 municipal bankruptcy, emergency managers and consent agreements.
(Reporting by Eddie B. Allen Jr., additional reporting by Karen Pierog in Chicago; Editing by Dan Grebler)
- Tesla says in talks with BMW over car batteries, parts
- Exclusive: China ready to cut rates again on fears of deflation - sources
- Actor Dwight Henry eyed in New Orleans killing after arrest for theft
- China building South China Sea island big enough for airstrip: report
- Suicide bomber kills 45 at volleyball match in Afghanistan