EU agrees new ECB banking supervisory role
BRUSSELS Dec 13 (Reuters) - European Union countries have agreed to allow make the European Central Bank the chief supervisor for banks in the euro zone, EU officials said on Thursday.
"There is a deal," said one EU official.
The new system of supervision should be up and running by the end of next year although ministers agreed that this could be delayed if the ECB needs longer to prepare itself.
- Exclusive: Malaysia plane probe narrows on mid-air disintegration - source
- Radar showed missing plane may have turned back: Malaysia military
- Missing Malaysian jet may have disintegrated in mid-air: source |
- Malaysian plane presumed crashed; questions over false IDs |
- Merkel raps Putin as Russian forces tighten grip on Crimea |