Fed selling Treasuries maturing April 2015 thru May 2015
NEW YORK Dec 13 (Reuters) - The Federal Reserve on Thursday was selling on the open market U.S. Treasuries maturing April 2015 through May 2015, the New York Fed said on its website.
The Fed previously said it intended to sell $7 billion to $8 billion of the Treasuries on Thursday.
The sale was part of the Fed's "Operation Twist" stimulus program - a program that extends the maturity of the central bank's Treasuries holdings in a bid to lower mortgage rates and other long-term borrowing costs.
Earlier on Thursday, as part of Twist, the Fed bought $4.66 billion of Treasuries maturing February 2021 through November 2022.
- Still no sign of Malaysian jet lost in 'unprecedented mystery' |
- Timeline: The search for missing Malaysian jet
- Missing Malaysian jet may have disintegrated in mid-air: source |
- Exclusive: Malaysia plane probe narrows on mid-air disintegration - source
- Mexico kills drug kingpin reported dead years ago: official