Fed selling Treasuries maturing April 2015 thru May 2015
NEW YORK Dec 13 (Reuters) - The Federal Reserve on Thursday was selling on the open market U.S. Treasuries maturing April 2015 through May 2015, the New York Fed said on its website.
The Fed previously said it intended to sell $7 billion to $8 billion of the Treasuries on Thursday.
The sale was part of the Fed's "Operation Twist" stimulus program - a program that extends the maturity of the central bank's Treasuries holdings in a bid to lower mortgage rates and other long-term borrowing costs.
Earlier on Thursday, as part of Twist, the Fed bought $4.66 billion of Treasuries maturing February 2021 through November 2022.
- Housing, jobs data weaken, but overall economic picture still upbeat
- Last-minute Obamacare exemption for those with canceled plans
- UPDATE 6-Target cyber breach hits 40 mln payment cards at holiday peak
- Target cyber breach hits 40 million payment cards at holiday peak |
- New York Mayor-elect's reputation for lateness parodied on Twitter