US Senate Leader says Boehner should yield to public on tax hikes
WASHINGTON, Dec 13 - The top Republican in Congress should yield to public opinion and permit an increase in tax rates on the wealthiest Americans, U.S. Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid said on Thursday.
House of Representatives Speaker John Boehner "can't ignore the American people forever," Reid told a Capitol Hill news conference.
He cited polls showing that most Americans favor raising taxes on the rich while extending tax cuts for the middle class as part of a possible deal to avert "the fiscal cliff," automatic tax hikes and budget cuts set to begin in 2013.
"At some point, reality should set in," said Reid, flanked by fellow Senate Democratic leaders.
- U.S. Mega Millions lottery up to $400 million, 2nd-biggest ever
- Uruguay becomes first country to legalize marijuana trade
- Pope Francis named Time's Person of the Year
- Thousands of South Africans line up to see Mandela lie in state |
- China bitcoin arbitrage ends as traders work around capital controls