U.S. defense chief orders Patriot missiles to Turkey
INCIRLIK AIR BASE, Turkey
INCIRLIK AIR BASE, Turkey Dec 14 (Reuters) - U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta signed an order on Friday to send two Patriot missile batteries to Turkey along with 400 American personnel to operate them, his spokesman said.
"The purpose of this deployment is to signal very strongly that the United States, working closely with our NATO allies, is going to support the defense of Turkey, especially with potential threats emanating from Syria," spokesman George Little told reporters before Panetta landed on an unannounced visit to Turkey.
- 'Weird Al' Yankovic still trying to wrap head around No. 1 album
- Crunch time for Gaza truce talks as death toll passes 800 |
- World's oldest joke traced back to 1900 BC
- French warplanes search Mali desert for crashed Air Algerie plane |
- Wreckage of Air Algerie plane carrying 116 people found in Mali |