Nikkei rises 1.0 pct to 8 1/2-month high as yen weakens on LDP win
TOKYO, Dec 17 (Reuters) - Japan's Nikkei average climbed 1.0 percent to an 8-1/2-month closing high on Monday, as the yen weakened after the conservative Liberal Democratic Party, which favours aggressive monetary easing, won Sunday's election by a landslide. The Nikkei rose 91.32 points to 9,828.88, the highest closing level since April 3. The broader Topix index advanced 0.9 percent to 807.84.
- Washington, DC city council raises minimum wage to $11.50/hr in 2016
- Winning ticket sold in California for Mega Millions lottery: official
- India removes barriers to U.S. embassy as anger grows over diplomat's arrest
- UPDATE 5-Mega Millions lottery winning tickets sold in California, Georgia -Officials
- U.N. told up to 500 killed in South Sudan clashes: diplomats