US STOCKS SNAPSHOT-Nasdaq up 1 pct on "cliff" talks hope
NEW YORK Dec 17 (Reuters) - U.S. stocks rose in light volume on Monday, with the Nasdaq composite index briefly up 1 percent, after the first signs of movement in the "fiscal cliff" negotiations bolstered sentiment.
The Dow Jones industrial average rose 75.98 points, or 0.58 percent, to 13,210.99. The S&P 500 Index gained 11.96 points, or 0.85 percent, to 1,425.54. The Nasdaq Composite Index added 26.71 points, or 0.90 percent, to 2,998.05.
- Oregon resident hospitalized for possible Ebola virus infection
- UK says will pay off part of World War One-era debt next year
- Fired-up Republicans have edge in midterm turnout war
- Kurdish peshmerga forces enter Syria's Kobani after further air strikes |
- Test flight of Virgin Galactic spaceship ends in fatal crash in California |