Fed selling Treasuries maturing June 2015 thru Nov 2015
NEW YORK Dec 18 (Reuters) - The Federal Reserve on Tuesday was selling on the open market U.S. Treasuries maturing June 2015 through November 2015, the New York Fed said on its website.
The Fed previously said it intended to sell $7 billion to $8 billion of the Treasuries on Tuesday.
The sale was part of the Fed's "Operation Twist" stimulus program - a program that extends the maturity of the central bank's Treasuries holdings in a bid to lower mortgage rates and other long-term borrowing costs.
Earlier on Tuesday, as part of Twist, the Fed bought $1.698 billion of Treasuries maturing February 2036 through November 2042.
- Insight: How U.S. spying cost Boeing multibillion-dollar jet contract
- Exclusive: Secret contract tied NSA and security industry pioneer |
- With Fed out of the way, what's next on Wall Street?
- Yemeni al Qaeda says attack on hospital was mistake
- Insight: For Chinese farmers, a rare welcome in Russia's Far East