Nikkei hits 8-1/2-month high on LDP win, but utilities fall
TOKYO, Dec 18 (Reuters) - Japan's Nikkei average hit an 8-1/2-month high for a second day on Tuesday, buoyed by a landslide election win for the conservative Liberal Democratic Party, although investors took profit on power companies. The Nikkei rose 1.0 percent to 9,923.01 after advancing to as high as 9,967.24, edging closer to the 10,000-mark. The broader Topix index gained 1.1 percent to 816.85.
- Man called Bitcoin's father denies ties, leads LA car chase
- Florida mayor fights backyard gun ranges in 'Gunshine State'
- Ukraine standoff intensifies, Russia says sanctions will 'boomerang' |
- Apple loses bid for U.S. ban on Samsung smartphone sales
- 'Everything is fine', Pistorius told guard after shooting girlfriend |