US STOCKS SNAPSHOT - Wall St extends gains on "cliff" hope
NEW YORK Dec 18 (Reuters) - U.S. stocks extended gains on Tuesday, with the Nasdaq up more than 1 percent, on hopes Washington was moving closer to a deal to avert the "fiscal cliff."
The Dow Jones industrial average gained 85.62 points, or 0.65 percent, to 13,321.01. The Standard & Poor's 500 Index rose 11.77 points, or 0.82 percent, to 1,442.13. The Nasdaq Composite Index added 30.29 points, or 1.01 percent, to 3,040.90.
- Bible left in North Korean sailor's club triggered U.S. tourist's arrest
- Tape emerges of Clinton discussing bin Laden day before 9/11 attack
- U.S. House passes border-security funding bill to speed deportations |
- Israel looks for missing soldier; Hamas says he may have been killed |
- Exposure of health workers weakens Africa's Ebola fight