US STOCKS SNAPSHOT - Wall St extends gains on "cliff" hope
NEW YORK Dec 18 (Reuters) - U.S. stocks extended gains on Tuesday, with the Nasdaq up more than 1 percent, on hopes Washington was moving closer to a deal to avert the "fiscal cliff."
The Dow Jones industrial average gained 85.62 points, or 0.65 percent, to 13,321.01. The Standard & Poor's 500 Index rose 11.77 points, or 0.82 percent, to 1,442.13. The Nasdaq Composite Index added 30.29 points, or 1.01 percent, to 3,040.90.
- Canada's parliament attacked, soldier fatally shot nearby |
- NOAA employee charged with stealing U.S. dam information
- Sweden gets two new sightings, as hunt for undersea intruder goes on
- Canada probes Michael Zehaf-Bibeau as possible suspect in Ottawa shooting: source
- Special Report: Traffickers use abductions, prison ships to feed Asian slave trade