French colonisation of Algeria "brutal" - Hollande
ALGIERS Dec 20 (Reuters) - President Francois Hollande acknowledged France's colonisation of Algeria had been "brutal and unfair" but stopped short on Thursday of an apology to the oil-rich North African state which Paris sees as a major trading partner.
"For 132 years, Algeria was subjected to a brutal and unfair system: colonisation. I acknowledge the suffering it caused," Hollande told the Algerian parliament on the second day of a visit aimed at boosting diplomatic and economic ties. (Reporting By Julien Ponthus and John Irish in Paris; editing by Mark John and Brian Love)
- China food scandal spreads, drags in Starbucks, Burger King and McNuggets in Japan |
- U.S. courts deliver conflicting rulings on Obama health care law
- Israel pounds Gaza despite international peace efforts |
- EU readies possible capital, tech sanctions on Russia
- Train carrying MH17 bodies on final journey reaches Ukraine city |