French colonisation of Algeria "brutal" - Hollande
ALGIERS Dec 20 (Reuters) - President Francois Hollande acknowledged France's colonisation of Algeria had been "brutal and unfair" but stopped short on Thursday of an apology to the oil-rich North African state which Paris sees as a major trading partner.
"For 132 years, Algeria was subjected to a brutal and unfair system: colonisation. I acknowledge the suffering it caused," Hollande told the Algerian parliament on the second day of a visit aimed at boosting diplomatic and economic ties. (Reporting By Julien Ponthus and John Irish in Paris; editing by Mark John and Brian Love)
- Exclusive: Angry with Washington, 1 in 4 Americans open to secession
- Scots spurn independence in historic vote, devolution battle begins |
- Eight bodies found after attack on Guinea Ebola education team
- Alibaba surges 38 percent on massive demand in market debut |
- Special Report: Scotland stays in UK, but Britain faces change