French colonisation of Algeria "brutal" - Hollande
ALGIERS Dec 20 (Reuters) - President Francois Hollande acknowledged France's colonisation of Algeria had been "brutal and unfair" but stopped short on Thursday of an apology to the oil-rich North African state which Paris sees as a major trading partner.
"For 132 years, Algeria was subjected to a brutal and unfair system: colonisation. I acknowledge the suffering it caused," Hollande told the Algerian parliament on the second day of a visit aimed at boosting diplomatic and economic ties. (Reporting By Julien Ponthus and John Irish in Paris; editing by Mark John and Brian Love)
- Man called Bitcoin's father denies ties, leads LA car chase
- Apple loses bid for U.S. ban on Samsung smartphone sales
- UPDATE 6-Obama warns on Crimea, orders sanctions over Russian moves in Ukraine
- Florida mayor fights backyard gun ranges in 'Gunshine State'
- Putin rebuffs Obama as Ukraine crisis escalates |