Israel complains to U.N. about rearming by Hezbollah

UNITED NATIONS Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:36pm EST

UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - Israel's U.N. envoy urged the Security Council on Thursday to condemn what he described as significant rearming by Hezbollah, saying the Lebanese militant group now possessed an arsenal of tens of thousands of missiles capable of hitting Israel.

Israel's U.N. Ambassador Ron Prosor said in a letter to the 15-nation council that the buildup was in clear violation of a U.N. arms embargo.

Prosor said an explosion in the southern Lebanese town of Tair Harfa on Monday was at a weapons depot.

"This explosion offers yet another reminder to the world about the grave danger before our eyes in Lebanon," he wrote.

"In flagrant breach of (Security Council) resolution 1701, Hezbollah has built its arsenal to unprecedented levels, amassing 50,000 deadly missiles in Lebanon - more missiles than many NATO members have in their possession," he said. "These missiles can reach all of Israel and well beyond."

A Lebanese security source said Monday's blast was caused by a rocket that had been fired into Lebanon during Hezbollah's 2006 war with Israel but which did not detonate on impact.

Israel has long complained that the U.N. arms embargo on Lebanon has been unsuccessful.

"I call on the Security Council and all responsible members of the international community to send a clear signal that Hezbollah's rapid rearmament will not be tolerated - backed by concrete steps on the ground," he said.

"A logical first step is to ensure that Hezbollah is placed on relevant terrorism watchlists in all corners of the globe, including in the European Union," Prosor said.

A Reuters reporter in Lebanon on Monday said members of Hezbollah, the Lebanese Army and around 50 members of the U.N. peacekeeping force UNIFIL were at the site of the blast but that he was prevented from approaching the area.

UNIFIL has about 12,000 troops and naval personnel in Lebanon after its expansion under U.N. Security Council Resolution 1701 that halted the 2006 Israel-Hezbollah war in southern Lebanon. The south remains a Hezbollah stronghold.

Despite domestic demands for the group to disarm, Hezbollah keeps stockpiles of weapons - including thousands of rockets - saying it will need them in the event of a new war with Israel.

On October 3, three Hezbollah members were killed in an explosion at a weapons warehouse in the town of Nabi Sheet in eastern Lebanon.

(Reporting By Louis Charbonneau; Editing by David Brunnstrom)

We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of Reuters. For more information on our comment policy, see http://blogs.reuters.com/fulldisclosure/2010/09/27/toward-a-more-thoughtful-conversation-on-stories/
Comments (4)
Abulafiah wrote:
Oh dear… is bully Israel getting scared that their victim might be able to fight back? I guess the IDF are not used to enemies with weapons.

Dec 20, 2012 10:02pm EST  --  Report as abuse
boreal wrote:
The pot calls the cattle black.

Dec 20, 2012 11:41pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Maybe the world should complain to the UN about Israel secretly possessing hundreds of nuclear missiles.

Dec 21, 2012 1:59am EST  --  Report as abuse
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.