Car bomb in east Damascus, fatalities reported -- activists
BEIRUT Dec 22 (Reuters) - A car bomb exploded in the eastern Damascus district of Qaboun on Saturday and initial reports said a number of people had been killed, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.
The group also reported clashes between rebel fighters and forces loyal to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad on the edge of the southern Damascus neighbourhood of Hajar al-Aswad. The district is next to the Palestinian refugee camp of Yarmouk, which was taken over by rebels this week.
- Police hunt for motive as search for Malaysian jet spans hemispheres |
- Crimeans vote on union with Russia as troops build up rapidly |
- Malaysian PM says lost airliner was diverted deliberately |
- Democrats seek ways to limit Obamacare fallout after Florida defeat
- Indian Ocean poses daunting challenge in search for missing Malaysia plane