Boehner: Senate must act on House bill to avoid fiscal cliff
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - House of Representatives Speaker John Boehner said on Friday that congressional leaders agreed at a meeting on avoiding year-end "fiscal cliff" spending cuts and tax increases that the next step should be for the Senate to take action, a Boehner aide said.
"The Speaker told the President that if the Senate amends the House-passed legislation and sends back a plan, the House will consider it - either by accepting or amending," the aide said.
(Reporting By Mark Felsenthal)
- Poroshenko to seek ceasefire after 'very tough' talks with Putin |
- WHO shuts Sierra Leone lab after worker infected with Ebola
- Libyan raids could herald bolder Arab action as U.S. wavers
- American man suspected of fighting with Islamic State is killed
- 'Men in green' raise suspicions of east Ukrainian villagers