Obama to make statement at 5:45 p.m., White House says
WASHINGTON Dec 28 (Reuters) - President Barack Obama is scheduled to make a statement to the media at 5:45 p.m. ET, the White House said on Friday. The statement follows a meeting with congressional leaders on avoiding fiscal cliff tax increases and spending cuts.
The president and lawmakers are working ahead of a Jan. 1 deadline to come up with a compromise to prevent a fiscal shock that economists warn could slow fragile economic growth.
- Putin dissolves state news agency, tightens grip on Russia media
- North Korea says Kim's powerful uncle dismissed for 'criminal acts'
- Thai PM calls snap election, protesters want power now |
- Cold, ice grip U.S. as more snow to blanket East
- Protesters fell Lenin statue, tell Ukraine's president 'you're next'