Russia: still chance for negotiated solution to Syria conflict
MOSCOW Dec 29 (Reuters) - The situation in Syria is worsening but a negotiated solution to the 21-month-old conflict that has killed over 44,000 people remains possible, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Saturday.
He spoke after talks in Moscow with U.N.-Arab League mediator Lakhdar Brahimi but appeared to offer no major new ideas for ending the conflict, in which rebels are trying to oust President Bashar al-Assad, a close ally of Moscow.
- U.S. Mega Millions lottery up to $400 million, 2nd-biggest ever
- Pope Francis named Time's Person of the Year |
- Uruguay becomes first country to legalize marijuana trade
- Thousands of South Africans line up to see Mandela lie in state |
- China bitcoin arbitrage ends as traders work around capital controls