India PM pledges action after rape victim's death
NEW DELHI (Reuters) - Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said on Saturday he was deeply saddened by the death of a woman who had been gang-raped in New Delhi and he pledged to channel emotions surrounding the case into concrete action.
The case had generated "emotions and energies" among young Indians seeking changes in society, he said in a statement after the announcement of the 23-year-old woman's death in a Singapore hospital.
"It would be a true homage to her memory if we are able to channelize these emotions and energies into a constructive course of action."
- NOAA employee charged with stealing U.S. dam information
- Autopsy of slain Missouri teen shows close-range gunshot: report
- Special Report: Traffickers use abductions, prison ships to feed Asian slave trade
- Hong Kong protesters march after fruitless talks with government
- Sweden gets two new sightings, as hunt for undersea intruder goes on