Safeway CEO to retire this year
(Reuters) - Safeway Inc's (SWY.N) long-time chairman and chief executive, Steve Burd, will retire at the second-largest U.S. supermarket chain's annual meeting on May 14, it said on Wednesday.
The operator of supermarkets such as Safeway, Vons and Dominick's said its board will start a search for a successor, and consider both internal and external candidates for the job.
Burd, who joined Safeway in October 1992 as president, was appointed CEO in 1993.
(Reporting By Dhanya Skariachan)
- Tape emerges of Clinton discussing bin Laden day before 9/11 attack
- Gaza truce over, Israel soldier captured, 70 dead in Rafah shelling |
- Financial health: The four numbers to zero in on
- Ebola patient coming to U.S. as aid workers' health worsens
- Sierra Leone declares emergency as Ebola death toll hits 729 |