Safeway CEO to retire this year
(Reuters) - Safeway Inc's (SWY.N) long-time chairman and chief executive, Steve Burd, will retire at the second-largest U.S. supermarket chain's annual meeting on May 14, it said on Wednesday.
The operator of supermarkets such as Safeway, Vons and Dominick's said its board will start a search for a successor, and consider both internal and external candidates for the job.
Burd, who joined Safeway in October 1992 as president, was appointed CEO in 1993.
(Reporting By Dhanya Skariachan)
- Japan expands army footprint for first time in 40 years, risks angering China
- UPDATE 3-Prosecutors extend Korea ferry captain's detention as death toll mounts
- South Korea recovers first bodies from inside sunken ferry |
- Mediator heads to east Ukraine, seeking surrenders |
- Prosecutors extend Korea ferry captain's detention as death toll mounts |