Safeway CEO to retire this year
(Reuters) - Safeway Inc's (SWY.N) long-time chairman and chief executive, Steve Burd, will retire at the second-largest U.S. supermarket chain's annual meeting on May 14, it said on Wednesday.
The operator of supermarkets such as Safeway, Vons and Dominick's said its board will start a search for a successor, and consider both internal and external candidates for the job.
Burd, who joined Safeway in October 1992 as president, was appointed CEO in 1993.
(Reporting By Dhanya Skariachan)
- Obama critic D'Souza spared prison for violating election law
- U.S. and Arab allies launch first strikes on fighters in Syria |
- Fired UPS worker kills two supervisors, self, in Alabama shooting
- Israel downs Syrian warplane it says violated its Golan airspace
- Argentina's Fernandez to meet billionaire investor Soros in New York