Safeway CEO to retire this year
(Reuters) - Safeway Inc's (SWY.N) long-time chairman and chief executive, Steve Burd, will retire at the second-largest U.S. supermarket chain's annual meeting on May 14, it said on Wednesday.
The operator of supermarkets such as Safeway, Vons and Dominick's said its board will start a search for a successor, and consider both internal and external candidates for the job.
Burd, who joined Safeway in October 1992 as president, was appointed CEO in 1993.
(Reporting By Dhanya Skariachan)
- Sweden gets two new sightings, as hunt for undersea intruder goes on
- NOAA employee charged with stealing U.S. dam information
- Special Report: Traffickers use abductions, prison ships to feed Asian slave trade
- Hong Kong protesters plan march after fruitless talks with government
- Three Denver girls reportedly en route to Turkey detained, sent home