Safeway CEO to retire this year
(Reuters) - Safeway Inc's (SWY.N) long-time chairman and chief executive, Steve Burd, will retire at the second-largest U.S. supermarket chain's annual meeting on May 14, it said on Wednesday.
The operator of supermarkets such as Safeway, Vons and Dominick's said its board will start a search for a successor, and consider both internal and external candidates for the job.
Burd, who joined Safeway in October 1992 as president, was appointed CEO in 1993.
(Reporting By Dhanya Skariachan)
- U.S. military strike in Somalia targeted al Shabaab leader
- Marilyn Monroe sex film to be kept private |
- Islamic State issues video of beheading of U.S. hostage |
- Actress Jennifer Lawrence contacts authorities after nude photos hacked
- Ukraine accuses Russia of 'undisguised aggression' as rebels advance |