EU says Syria's Assad must quit to allow political transition
BRUSSELS Jan 6 (Reuters) - Syrian President Bashar al-Assad must step down in order to bring about a political solution to the war in his country, the European Union's foreign policy chief said on Sunday.
The statement followed a speech by Assad in which he said he would not neogiatate with the forces trying to overthrow him.
"We will look carefully if there is anything new in the speech but we maintain our position that Assad has to step aside and allow for a political transition." a spokesman for EU foreign affairs chief Catherine Ashton said.
- U.S., Arab partners launch first strikes on IS in Syria
- Qatar adamant it will host 2022 World Cup despite doubts
- Ebola could strike 20,000 in six weeks, 'rumble on for years': study
- Argentina's Fernandez to meet billionaire investor Soros in New York
- More Americans than ever have never married: survey