CANADA STOCKS-TSX opens higher as TransCanada wins contract
TORONTO, Jan 9 (Reuters) - Canada's main stock index opened higher on Wednesday, helped in part by a rise in TransCanada Corp shares after the company won a contract to build a multibillion-dollar pipeline for Progress Energy Canada Ltd. The Toronto Stock Exchange's S&P/TSX composite index was up 11.48 points, or 0.09 percent, at 12,516.29 shortly after the open.
- Alabama man gets $1,000 in police settlement, his lawyers get $459,000
- New York police officer critically wounded in hatchet attack
- Doctor with Ebola in New York hospital after return from Guinea
- Exclusive: Charred tanks in Ukraine point to Russian involvement
- Ground offensive against Islamic State months away in Iraq: U.S.