USDA makes first 2013 drought declarations
WASHINGTON Jan 9 (Reuters) - The U.S. Department of Agriculture on Wednesday named 597 counties in 14 U.S. states as drought disaster areas, its first such designations for 2013.
The move made all qualified farm operators in those areas eligible for low-interest emergency loans.
The counties have been in at least a "severe drought," as measured by the four-step U.S. Drought Monitor, for at least eight consecutive weeks.
- Ten countries scour sea for Malaysia jet lost in 'unprecedented mystery' |
- Confrontation in Ukraine as diplomacy stalls |
- Missing Malaysian jet may have disintegrated in mid-air: source |
- Mexico kills drug kingpin reported dead years ago: official
- Pistorius vomits in court at Steenkamp autopsy details |