USDA makes first 2013 drought declarations
WASHINGTON Jan 9 (Reuters) - The U.S. Department of Agriculture on Wednesday named 597 counties in 14 U.S. states as drought disaster areas, its first such designations for 2013.
The move made all qualified farm operators in those areas eligible for low-interest emergency loans.
The counties have been in at least a "severe drought," as measured by the four-step U.S. Drought Monitor, for at least eight consecutive weeks.
- Washington, DC city council raises minimum wage to $11.50/hr in 2016
- China confirms near miss with U.S. ship in South China Sea
- India trims perks for U.S. staff in row over New York envoy arrest
- UPDATE 5-Mega Millions lottery winning tickets sold in California, Georgia -Officials
- Mega Millions lottery winning tickets sold in California, Georgia |