USDA makes first 2013 drought declarations
WASHINGTON Jan 9 (Reuters) - The U.S. Department of Agriculture on Wednesday named 597 counties in 14 U.S. states as drought disaster areas, its first such designations for 2013.
The move made all qualified farm operators in those areas eligible for low-interest emergency loans.
The counties have been in at least a "severe drought," as measured by the four-step U.S. Drought Monitor, for at least eight consecutive weeks.
- Former WWE champ nabs suspected burglar in Arizona
- First Ebola victim in Sierra Leone capital on the run
- Thousands take to N.Y. streets to protest Israeli offensive in Gaza
- U.S. fighter jets escort Canadian plane home over passenger threat
- Apple iPhones allow extraction of deep personal data, researcher finds