France continues Mali air strikes and sends troops to Bamako
PARIS Jan 12 (Reuters) - French forces continued air strikes against Islamist rebels in Mali on Saturday and sent troops to protect the capital Bamako under an intervention involving several hundred soldiers, Defence Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said.
Le Drian said French army units had attacked a column of rebels heading towards the town of Mopti and said a French pilot was killed during air strikes on Friday in an operation to help the Malian government quash a push south by the rebels.
- Exclusive: Radar data suggests missing Malaysia plane deliberately flown way off course - sources
- Investigators focus on foul play behind missing Malaysia plane: sources |
- Kremlin website hit by 'powerful' cyber attack
- West prepares sanctions as Russia presses on with Crimea takeover |
- UPDATE 1-Rolls-Royce concurs with Malaysia on missing jet's engine data