French govt says Somalia raid not linked to Mali operation
PARIS Jan 12 (Reuters) - An operation by French armed forces to rescue a hostage being held in Somalia was not linked to France's military intervention in Mali to help quash a push south by Islamist rebels, Defence Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said on Saturday.
"The two operations are totally unconnected," Le Drian told a news conference.
France had been concerned that other hostages held in Africa would be at risk if they intervened against al Qaeda-linked fighters in Mali.
- Lost airliner was diverted deliberately: Malaysian PM |
- Malaysia PM says lost plane's movements indicate a deliberate act
- Exclusive: Radar data suggests missing Malaysia plane deliberately flown way off course - sources
- UPDATE 2-Satellite data shows missing Malaysia plane may have flown thousands of miles-source
- UPDATE 1-Rolls-Royce concurs with Malaysia on missing jet's engine data