Obama: Government shutdown over debt ceiling would harm economy
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Barack Obama said on Monday the U.S. economy would be damaged if a Washington impasse over raising the debt ceiling led to a government shutdown.
"My hope is that common sense prevails," Obama said at a news conference.
Obama said it is possible that the Republican-led House of Representatives could vote against raising the debt ceiling.
- Search for Malaysian plane may extend to Indian Ocean - U.S |
- Search for Malaysian plane may extend to Indian Ocean: U.S. |
- Tire blows out on passenger jet taking off at Philadelphia airport
- Russia holds war games near Ukraine; Merkel warns of catastrophe |
- Facebook CEO Zuckerberg phoned Obama to complain about spying