French armored column leaves Bamako for north Mali
BAMAKO (Reuters) - A column of French armored vehicles has left the Malian capital Bamako, heading north towards territory controlled by Islamist rebels, a French military official said on Tuesday.
"A convoy of armored vehicles left this afternoon heading north," the official, who asked not to be named, told Reuters without providing further details.
It was the first such movement since France began a military operation on Friday to halt a southward advance by the alliance of Islamist groups.
- Crunch time for Gaza truce talks as death toll passes 800 |
- 'Weird Al' Yankovic still trying to wrap head around No. 1 album
- World's oldest joke traced back to 1900 BC
- French warplanes search Mali desert for crashed Air Algerie plane |
- Wreckage of Air Algerie plane carrying 116 people found in Mali |