Amplats says workers on illegal strike at three South Africa mines
JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) - Anglo American Platinum (AMSJ.J) said on Wednesday workers at three of its South African mines had gone on an illegal strike, the day after the world's top producer of the precious metal announced plans to close shafts and cut 14,000 jobs.
"Anglo American Platinum (Amplats) confirms that a group of its employees at its Khomanani, Thembelani and Tumela mines have refused to go underground this morning and are engaged in an illegal work stoppage," Amplats spokeswoman Mpumi Sithole told Reuters.
- Missing jet may have strayed toward Andaman Sea: Malaysian air force |
- NYC buildings explosion kills 2, more missing
- Malaysia military source says missing jet veered to west |
- Exclusive: EU approves framework for asset freezes, travel bans on Russia
- Ukraine appeals to the West as Crimea turns to Russia |