- Kanye West wins over critics with 'daring' new album 'Yeezus'
- Journalist who brought down U.S. general is killed in Los Angeles car crash
- Angelina Jolie stunt double sues News Corp over hacking
- Massachusetts police search NFL player's home in homicide probe: report
- Nikkei outperforms Asian stocks as Fed looms
Cyprus man unwittingly brings bomb into police station
NICOSIA (Reuters) - A man triggered a major security scare in Cyprus on Wednesday when he walked into a police station carrying a bomb he found on his driveway, saying he wanted officers to examine it.
Police said the 33-year old man discovered a suspicious device on the back window of his car and after drawing a blank on what it was doing there, decided to take it to a police station in the capital Nicosia for further scrutiny by experts.
It didn't take long for police to discover it was a makeshift bomb which had failed to go off, triggering the evacuation of the complex.
"He obviously didn't know what it was," a police source told Reuters.
Police said the object was a "makeshift high intensity explosive" attached to a detonator and a fuse. It was defused on site by explosives experts.
(Reporting By Michele Kambas, editing by Paul Casciato)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this