- Planetary alignment peaks with celestial show this weekend
- UK fighters escort Pakistan plane to airport, two arrests
- Arizona jury foreman says believed Jodi Arias was abused
- Judge rules against 'America's toughest sheriff' in racial profiling lawsuit
- Stockholm calmer but violence spreads outside Swedish capital |
Apartment block collapses in Egypt, at least 14 killed
ALEXANDRIA, Egypt |
ALEXANDRIA, Egypt (Reuters) - At least 14 people were killed in Egypt on Wednesday when an apartment block collapsed in Alexandria, the state news agency reported.
The eight-storey building in a working class district of the Mediterranean city collapsed just before 7 a.m.. Residents said the building was home to more than 30 people.
Rescue workers used mechanical diggers and their bare hands to search through the rubble. Building collapses are common in Egypt because of lax building standards and poor maintenance.
(Reporting by Abdel Rahman Youssef; Writing by Tom Perry in Cairo; Editing by Alison Williams)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this