CANADA STOCKS-TSX closes near 10-1/2-mo highs; banks, RIM lead gains
TORONTO, Jan 18 (Reuters) - Canada's main stock index finished near 10-1/2-month highs on Friday, with financial stocks and Research in Motion Ltd shares leading the market higher. The Toronto Stock Exchange's S&P/TSX composite index was up 50.96 points, or 0.40 percent, 12,725.69. Nine of the index's 10 main sectors were in positive territory. The index has climbed about 1 percent for the week.
- Putin dissolves state news agency, tightens grip on Russia media
- North Korea says Kim's powerful uncle dismissed for 'criminal acts'
- Thai PM calls snap election, protesters want power now |
- Record cold, ice grip U.S.; more snow to blanket East
- Protesters fell Lenin statue, tell Ukraine's president 'you're next'