French PM says Algeria hostage rescue still under way
PARIS Jan 18 (Reuters) - French Prime Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault said on Friday the Algerian government had told him an operation to rescue hostages held by Islamist militants at a gas complex in Algeria was still ongoing at mid-morning.
"I have just this very moment spoken to the Algerian prime minister who confirmed to me that the operation is ongoing," Ayrault said, adding that he was also in constant contact with the governments of other affected countries.
"The death of several hostages is to be deplored," Ayrault told journalists in a New Year speech.
- Mexican train derails, stranding 1,300 migrants headed toward U.S.
- Texas man charged with capital murder for shooting dead six |
- Palestinian death toll rises to 77 as Israel hits Gaza over rocket fire |
- Wall St. drops on Portugal bank worry; losses pared
- Berlin tells CIA station chief to leave in spy scandal