Militants still holding some hostages at Algerian gas plant-APS
ALGIERS Jan 18 (Reuters) - Some militants remain holed up in a gas facility in the Algerian desert and are still holding a number of hostages, the Algerian state news agency APS said on Friday.
"(The army) is still trying to achieve a 'peaceful outcome' before neutralising the terrorist group that is holed up in the (facility) and freeing a group of hostages that is still being held," APS said, quoting a security source.
A military operation rescued a total of 650 hostages, 573 of whom were Algerians, APS said.
- Exclusive: Secret contract tied NSA and security industry pioneer |
- Housing, jobs data weaken, but overall economic picture still upbeat
- Putin critic Khodorkovsky in Germany after pardon |
- Target probe looks overseas, stolen cards offered online
- Pizza outlet attacked as India, U.S. fail to cool diplomat row |