India hikes import tax on gold by 50 percent - official
NEW DELHI Jan 21 (Reuters) - India on Monday hiked import duty on gold to 6 percent from 4 percent effective immediately, a finance ministry official said on Monday, in a bid to cut down ballooning current account deficit.
The news sent gold futures higher by a percent.
The duties will be reviewed if there is a moderation in gold imports, Economic Affairs Secretary Arvind Mayaram told reporters.
(Reporting by Arup Roychoudhury; writing by Siddesh Mayenkar; editing by Anurag Kotoky)
- Malaysia says no evidence missing plane flew hours after losing contact |
- Missing jet may have strayed to west, Malaysia military says |
- White House tried to mediate dispute between Senate, CIA panel: source
- Rescuers seek survivors after NY building collapse; seven dead
- UPDATE 1-U.S. investigators suspect missing Malaysian plane flew for hours -WSJ