India hikes import tax on gold by 50 percent - official
NEW DELHI Jan 21 (Reuters) - India on Monday hiked import duty on gold to 6 percent from 4 percent effective immediately, a finance ministry official said on Monday, in a bid to cut down ballooning current account deficit.
The news sent gold futures higher by a percent.
The duties will be reviewed if there is a moderation in gold imports, Economic Affairs Secretary Arvind Mayaram told reporters.
(Reporting by Arup Roychoudhury; writing by Siddesh Mayenkar; editing by Anurag Kotoky)
- Islamic State threat 'beyond anything we've seen': Pentagon
- Oklahoma City policeman arrested for raping women while on patrol
- Ukraine accuses Russia of invasion after aid convoy crosses border |
- Exclusive: Apple iPhone 6 screen snag leaves supply chain scrambling
- Islamic State threat 'beyond anything we've seen': Pentagon |