- Planetary alignment peaks with celestial show this weekend
- UK fighters escort Pakistan plane to airport, two arrests
- Arizona jury foreman says believed Jodi Arias was abused
- Judge rules against 'America's toughest sheriff' in racial profiling lawsuit
- Stockholm calmer but violence spreads outside Swedish capital |
India hikes import tax on gold by 50 percent - official
NEW DELHI |
NEW DELHI Jan 21 (Reuters) - India on Monday hiked import duty on gold to 6 percent from 4 percent effective immediately, a finance ministry official said on Monday, in a bid to cut down ballooning current account deficit.
The news sent gold futures higher by a percent.
The duties will be reviewed if there is a moderation in gold imports, Economic Affairs Secretary Arvind Mayaram told reporters.
(Reporting by Arup Roychoudhury; writing by Siddesh Mayenkar; editing by Anurag Kotoky)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this