Family of former Chargers star Junior Seau sues NFL over suicide

LOS ANGELES Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:54pm EST

Family members hold up a No. 55 jersey as part of a ceremony held in memory of the late former USC Trojans, San Diego Chargers and NFL linebacker Junior Seau after the first quarter of the NCAA football game between the USC Trojans and the Hawaii Warriors in Los Angeles September 1, 2012. REUTERS/Danny Moloshok

Family members hold up a No. 55 jersey as part of a ceremony held in memory of the late former USC Trojans, San Diego Chargers and NFL linebacker Junior Seau after the first quarter of the NCAA football game between the USC Trojans and the Hawaii Warriors in Los Angeles September 1, 2012.

Credit: Reuters/Danny Moloshok

Related Topics

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The family of former San Diego Chargers star Junior Seau, who killed himself last year, sued the National Football League on Wednesday, claiming that his suicide resulted from brain disease caused by repeated hits to the head during his football career.

The wrongful death lawsuit, filed in San Diego Superior Court by Seau's children and ex-wife, as well as the trustee of his estate, also claims that the NFL concealed the risks of brain damage in the sport, court documents showed.

"We know this lawsuit will not bring back Junior," the Seau family said in a written statement. "But it will send a message that the NFL needs to care for its former players, acknowledge its decades of deception on the issue of head injuries and player safety, and make the game safer for future generations."

An NFL spokesman, Greg Aiello, told Reuters the league's attorneys would review the lawsuit and respond to the claims appropriately through the court.

Seau, a 12-time Pro Bowl linebacker for the Chargers and two other teams, died in May 2012 after shooting himself in the chest at his beachfront house in his hometown of Oceanside, California.

A study by a team of independent researchers released earlier this month found that Seau, 43, suffered from chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE - the same debilitating brain disease diagnosed in at least two other former NFL players who committed suicide.

The NFL has previously said the result of the examination of Seau's brain underscored "the recognized need for additional research to accelerate a fuller understanding of CTE." NFL clubs have already committed a $30 million research grant to the National Institutes of Health.

Increased awareness and knowledge about brain injuries have unsettled the National Football League, a $9 billion a year industry. The league has attempted to institute rule changes protecting player safety while still preserving the spectacle that fans enjoy, which is partly based on the speed and power of the athletes colliding with one another.

Several thousand former NFL players have sued the NFL in federal court in Philadelphia, accusing the league of fraudulently concealing from players the risk of brain injury in playing professional football.

Just weeks before Seau shot himself, former Atlanta Falcons safety Ray Easterling committed suicide, and family members described a long descent into dementia following his retirement from the NFL. An autopsy revealed indications of CTE.

In February 2011, four-time Pro Bowl safety Dave Duerson, who played most of his career with the Chicago Bears, shot himself in the chest. In a suicide note, he donated his brain for study, and it was found to exhibit signs of CTE.

CTE, once known as boxer's dementia, is caused by repeated impacts to the brain, and has been found in athletes who suffered head injuries as well as members of the armed forces with concussive injuries from blast waves.

Because the mild and moderate brain injuries do not show up on CT scans or other imaging, the condition can be definitively diagnosed only through an autopsy.

(Reporting by Dan Whitcomb; Editing by Cynthia Johnston and Claudia Parsons)

FILED UNDER:
We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of Reuters. For more information on our comment policy, see http://blogs.reuters.com/fulldisclosure/2010/09/27/toward-a-more-thoughtful-conversation-on-stories/
Comments (2)
2Cents wrote:
Funny, I don’t remember him being forced to play.

Jan 23, 2013 3:52pm EST  --  Report as abuse
ccharles wrote:
This is what you get when you try and give someone the benifit of the doubt and try and be consoling. But this is hog wash. Football player and the other sport figures get good money to play. If they want the fame for being one bad player, then they go all out and show it. No one told them to do it… they did it for fame. If he was a 7/11 clerk wouldnt hear a peep.

Next the UFC right?

Jan 23, 2013 5:49pm EST  --  Report as abuse
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.