WellPoint quarterly profit rises
Jan 23 (Reuters) - Health insurer WellPoint Inc said on Wednesday that its fourth-quarter net profit had risen to $464.2 million, or $1.51 per share, helped by an income tax settlement and investment gains.
On an adjusted basis, the company said earnings had increased to $1.03 per share from 99 cents a year earlier, driven by cost controls and operating results.
The company said it expected a 2013 net profit of at least $7.60 per share. Analysts have been expecting $7.98 on average, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S. It was not immediately clear if the two numbers are comparable.
- Police hunt for motive as search for Malaysian jet spans hemispheres |
- Malaysian PM says lost airliner was diverted deliberately |
- Democrats seek ways to limit Obamacare fallout after Florida defeat
- Police make third arrest in murder of Colorado socialite
- Crimeans vote on union with Russia as troops build up rapidly |