Ford resumes output at Belgian plant after worker blockade ends
DETROIT (Reuters) - Ford Motor Co resumed production this week at its plant in Genk, Belgium, after the U.S. automaker and factory workers agreed to end a blockade that has halted work at the plant since October.
"We've very pleased to be shipping and building vehicles again and we're working to get the Genk factory quickly back up to full production," Ford spokesman Mark Truby said on Wednesday.
Work began at the plant on Monday, nearly three months after vehicle shipments stopped on October 24, the day Ford announced it was closing the factory by the end of 2014.
The news triggered protests and a walkout by workers, which prevented Ford from building new cars or shipping several thousand already built vehicles from the plant.
Under a deal reached between the unions and Ford earlier this month, Ford will be able to ship any newly built vehicles from Genk, but is barred from delivering any of the excess inventory. Genk workers also will be paid a shift premium.
The factory, where Ford now makes the Mondeo sedan, and Galaxy and S-MAX minivans, is one of three Ford will close to stem combined losses of at least $3 billion in 2012 and 2013.
(Reporting By Deepa Seetharaman; editing by Carol Bishopric)
- Russia criticizes EU sanctions, raps U.S. over Ukraine role |
- Israel says ready to extend short Gaza truce; many bodies pulled from rubble |
- First Ebola victim in Sierra Leone capital on the run
- Amazon's far-reaching ambitions, lack of profits, unnerve investors |
- Apple iPhones allow extraction of deep personal data, researcher finds