White House welcomes House vote to extend debt limit
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - White House spokesman Jay Carney on Wednesday welcomed a vote by the U.S. House of Representatives that passed an extension of borrowing authority under the federal debt limit.
Carney reiterated that the Obama administration would have preferred a longer extension to avoid continued uncertainty over the issue.
(Reporting by Jeff Mason; Editing by Sandra Maler)
- Pope attacks mega-salaries and wealth gap in peace message
- Air strike kills 15 civilians in Yemen by mistake: officials
- Probation for drunk Texas teen driver who killed four sparks backlash
- Atheists face death in 13 countries, global discrimination: study
- South Africa admits mistake over 'schizophrenic' Mandela signer |
Thousands line up to say goodbye to Nelson Mandela, whose body is lying in state in Pretoria. Slideshow